What if I Move to a Foreign Country and have an HSA?

Some employers offer their employees the option of working abroad. How does this affect your Health Savings Account?

Here are some things to consider:

  • Your HSA debit card works in most other countries.
  • There are cross border currency fees for debit card transactions.
  • If you switch out of your HDHP to a PPO plan you will not be able to contribute to your HSA. You can however spend your existing HSA balance on qualified expenses.
  • Caution should be used when purchasing prescriptions using your HSA in foreign countries. Click here to learn more.
  • Your insurance may or may not be accepted in all foreign countries.

If you are going to be overseas notify the bank ahead of time. This will prevent your card from being deactivated as the bank may be tricked into thinking that your card was stolen when you make a foreign transaction. The bank’s phone number is located on the back of your HSA debit card.

Tango eligible expenses attached below and available for download.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request